Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

First overlocker lesson

Mum's overlocker

I had my very first overlocker lesson on Monday (serger to some folks). It's been one of those things I knew I had to eventually try!! Mum didn't have one when I was growing up and learning to sew so we had work arounds. She's had this machine for quite a few years now but for some reason I've resisted. Maybe it's the scary amount of threading!!

My boys are tall and thin and it's getting harder to find clothes that fit. I used to have the problem of age appropriateness for larger sizes but now it's just they are too wide. Surly I'm not the only mum with this dilemma!!

So, I've bitten the bullet to start making them. Lucky for me they love wearing handmade. 

First attempt

So this is my first attempt!! AJ chose the fabric. I used simplicity pattern 1285. 

Simplicity pattern 1285

He was measuring a small in the waste (for 6-8 yrs) and large in length (for 14-16 yrs). He's 10, so now you understand my predicament!! I decided to just make the large this time and fiddle with sizing next time depending how they turn out. For tracky dacks they were fine around the bum. If they were meant to be fitted i would definitely make the small around the waste and legs. The length is perfect for now so he's not allowed to grow for a while!!

The lesson went well. I've mastered 2 pieces of fabric together, more than that and over seems needs to be worked on. I'm making the full PJs for Little O. I started the top. It's in a different fabric - interlock - and much easier to sew. He keeps asking if they are finished. It's going to be a long week for him until my next lesson :-). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...