Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sewing with my son

I sewed for the first time with my son today. He was so patient and so willing, not bad for a guy who turns 4 this Saturday. He wanted to make a pillow for his teddy for teddy's birthday (on saturday too).

We chose the fabric out of my stash. He found a piece of cardboard that was just the right size. (this happened to be cardboard out of a flat fat from spotlight!!) We measured the material to see if would fit, drew a line around the cardboard then cut along the line. As this was I think the first time he had cut material it was a bit difficult so we did it together. I was planning on pinning the two pieces of fabric together but he grabbed the needle and thread and proceeded to start tacking. There was no knot on the end which confused him at first but we sorted that out. He thought it was a good idea that I finish that part though!!

We chose the thread to match the material and I showed him how I thread the machine. He was very quick at picking it up but I guess he does watch me. I showed him how to guide the material through while I peddled. It was then his job to lift the foot and turn the material. He was so proud of himself. We then turned the pillow and he stuffed it, testing as he went to see if teddy's head was going to be comfortable. I sewed it up and put a dimple in the middle. Now we have to rap it and wait till saturday to give it to teddy.

I don't think this will be the last of sewing together :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait for mine to be old enough. This sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So neat! I bet you both had fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...